Mayonnaise is the most common dressing made of acid, egg yolk, and oil. It is a usual base in many variations of salad dressings or sandwich spreads. Check out our easy to follow homemade mayonnaise recipe below.
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
Making a homemade mayonnaise can be cheaper and healthier than store-bought mayonnaise. Try this easy to make mayonnaise recipe you can make at home.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pcs egg yolks
- 4 pcs kalamansi or Philippine lime
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
Squeeze and strain the juice of the kalamansi. Set aside.
Mix kalamansi juice, hot sauce, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Add egg yolks into the bowl. Mix well.
Slowly add the oil. Continuous mixing it until thick and creamy.
Check the taste. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Use pure olive oil to make the mayonnaise healthier.
- Lower the cost of the ingredients by using pure vegetable oil or other affordable oils.
- Combine olive oil with other oil to maintain the consistency of the mayonnaise.
- Replace kalamansi with lemon or lime.
- Add vinegar if desired. If so, reduce the amount of kalamansi juice.
- Lighten the color of the mayonnaise by slowly adding few drops of cold water into it.
- Make mayonnaise using a blender or food processor to speed up the process.
- Prevent the bowl from slipping by placing a damped cloth underneath it.