Below is the list of Country Nicknames Part 2:
1. China – The Red Dragon
- Red Dragon represents good fortune, power and success in Chinese culture. The traditional color is usually used in celebrations as Red is commonly associated with fire, heart, luck and passion.
2. Egypt – The Gift of the Nile
- Herodotus, a Greek Historian, called Egypt as such because the Nile River provides resources needed by the Egyptian Civilization.
3. England – Land of Hope and Glory
- In year 1902, Edward Elgar wrote the British patriotic song in the title, “The Land of Hope and Glory”. From then on, the title was used as the country’s nickname.
4. Finland – Land of a Thousand Lakes
- Land of a Thousand Lakes because the body of water makes up 10% of the land area in Finland. Study says that there is 1 lake for every 26 Finland locals.
5. France – L’hexagone
- L’hexagone is a French word for hexagon. By checking a map, it appears that the mainland of France has a hexagonal shape land area.
6. Guyana – Land of Many Waters
- Guyana is considered as the Amerindian for Land of Many Waters since the country lies between two rivers, Orinoco and Amazon.
7. Iceland – Land of Fire and Ice
- Iceland became the Land of fire and ice because of the glaciers and volcanic springs located next to each other.
8. Indonesia – The Emerald of the Equator
- The term coined by Eduard Douwes, a Dutch writer, based on country’s position on the equator and its abundance of rainforest.